-->

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Self Reliance: Buttermilk

Did you know that you can cultivate your own buttermilk?  I found a tutorial online, and was going to link to it, but now I can't find it anywhere. (If anyone knows the link, would you please post it in the comments?)

Basically you get a container and put 1 part buttermilk in. Then put 3 parts milk. Shake it and leave it on your counter for 24 hours.  After 24 hours shake it again and if it is thick and clumpy, the cultures of the buttermilk have spread and created more buttermilk.  Now store your buttermilk in the fridge and use it for recipes!  Always keep 1 part in your container so you can continue replenishing the buttermilk using the same instructions.

I used this quart jar, so I put 1 cup of buttermilk and followed it with 3 cups of milk.


I put my label right where the 1 cup measurement is, so I will always know that's where I stop pouring out my buttermilk.

It's so nice to always have buttermilk on hand for pancakes and waffles!

Have any of you ever made your own buttermilk?

7 comments:

Valerie Z said...

How long before the milk goes bad?

Grace said...

I made some last week from my first raw milk. So easy and so good!

Abs said...

@Valerie Z, I'm not sure how long it lasts. I've been using this buttermilk (and replenishing it as needed) for a couple months now.

I wish I could find the original link!

Anonymous said...

In a hurry? Add one TB. vinegar (or fresh lemon juice) per one cup whole milk. Stir to blend. Set aside for a couple of minutes. The result is a "clabbered" milk that can be used in recipes calling for buttermilk. --been making my "buttermilk" this way for decades.
Brenda G. in Tennessee

Rebecca H. said...

I make my own buttermilk also. I found out how by reading this post.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/making-cultured-buttermilk-kefir-and-sour-cream

I ususally buy a little carton from the store for 35 cents, then I can reuse it about 10 times before I need to buy a new one.

You can also purchase buttermilk starter pkgs from Cultures for Health to have in your food storage.

I love to use it in recipes and in making my own cheddar cheese. Buttermilk works as a mesophilic culture needed to make cheese.

Here is the link for making cheese. So easy
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/how-to-make-cheddar-cheese-recipe

tansy said...

the only buttermilk i've ever made is the byproduct of making butter. i buy 1 gallon raw cream every 2 weeks and get 1 quart of buttermilk each time plus 5# of butter.

kdonat said...

I love homemade buttermilk but have a tendancy to forget to hold back enough for the next batch. In addition to making yogurt, it's a great way to use up shelf milk and powdered milk that have reached the use-by date.