-->

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Food Storage Tuesday

Every Tuesday, we post specific items you should gather in order to supplement your 72-hour kit, your three-month supply, and your longer term storage.  If you are new to our blog, don't worry!  You won't be left behind.  Just start up where we are and follow along.  You will eventually have everything completed.  Once the 72-hour kit is complete, we'll be putting together emergency car kits again (week by week).  Once those are done, we'll gather the 72-hour kits again.  So don't worry, just jump on in and join us where we are today!


This week for your 72-hour kits, add some small entertainment items.  72 hour is three whole days... things would get pretty boring pretty fast if you were without power for three days, or if you were forced out of your home for three days.  Some decks of cards, small dice games, coloring books and crayons, etc.... don't forget something for yourself too, like a book of sudoku or crossword puzzles.


How's your three-month supply coming along?  Don't forget to stock up on things you love that are in season right now.  It's easier to find pumpkin on the shelves right now than it is during the Spring.  You could also plan to stock up on candy during the post-Halloween sales (if that's your thing... I personally stay away from the good candy because I have no self control!).    I do, however, plan to stock up on some hot apple cider mix!


We're still gathering "other" items for our longer-term storage this month.  I just found out (the hard way) that I'm out of yeast!  I thought I still had a whole other bag of it in my pantry, but it turns out that the bag I was using was that bag.  Don't you hate when that happens?  I also "need" to stock up on chocolate chips!

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Great idea to have the cans loose like that, I had mine in boxes and I never opened them because it was too much of a pain to fish them out and then I couldn't see what I had left in the box. I guess if you have carpet you could put them on a plastic tarp or on a piece of cardboard. But, I like that they are loose!! Thanks!