-->

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tuesday

This week for your 72-hour kits, add pet supplies (food, medication, extra leash?, extra collar/tags?, documentation).  Also, add a can opener if you included canned foods in your kits.  I mean, how depressing would that be to have cans of food in an emergency, but you don't have a can opener? :)

How is your three-month supply coming along?  Make a master shopping list to help you keep track of what you still need to buy.  Plan your meals, then go from there!  Check out our recipes to get some meal ideas that use only non-perishable foods.  Don't have time to plan everything out?  Check out our e-book - it would make a great Christmas gift, too!

This month for our longer-term storage, we're gathering oats.  I have a confession: until recently, I hated oatmeal.  I never ate it growing up when my mom made it for breakfast (even with the brown sugar added).  Anyway, now I eat it EVERY morning!  I add a banana, a splash of milk, a bit of granola for some crunch, and a tablespoon of peanut butter (something I NEVER thought to add when I was younger).  Now I just need to try dehydrating some bananas to make it a completely food storage friendly meal, and I'll be a happy girl!  My point is... sometimes thinking outside the box can really help you expand your food storage options.  Knowing I can love oatmeal really motivates me to store a lot of it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned from Cody Lundin, author of When All Hell Breaks Lose, Stuff You Need to Survive When Disaster Strikes, that you can use a cement wall, or ground, to open a can. You simply rub the top of the can in circles over and over on the concrete....it "breaks" the seal and voila' you've got an open can! So...just in case you forget the can opener this is a trick to remember. I'm guessing it would work on a large rock too.

Thanks for all the good info you provide. Learn a lot and it helps me stay focused and motivated!

MaMaBear in the Mitten