-->

Saturday, October 3, 2009

This week for my food storage meal...

Regularly making your food storage meals is beneficial for a couple of reasons. First, you'll know how to make your meals and how to improve upon them as you go. Secondly, your family gets used to the meals and you won't be springing anything on them if you ever had to eat solely from your food storage. Thirdly, it's a great way to rotate through your food to be sure nothing goes bad (just don't forget to replace it!).

I make one food storage meal a week. This week, I made a hummus recipe that Abbie gave me. I have never been a big fan of hummus, but let me tell you... this is delicious. It will definitely be added to my food storage meal plan, either as a lunch (with pita bread or crackers), or just a snack. When I rotate it, I eat it with carrots, cucumber, celery, etc.

And I would link you over to this delicious recipe, but... it hasn't been posted yet! (UPDATE: you can find the recipe HERE!) Sorry, but now you have something to look forward to. It's worth it, trust me.

So stay on the lookout for that recipe. Meanwhile, if you'll excuse me... that hummus in the fridge is calling my name again.

Do you make your food storage meals? How often do you make them, and what's your favorite food storage meal?

5 comments:

~B. said...

Oh you tempt me so!!! I LOVE hummus! Can't wait to see the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Love hummus--we eat from food storage everyday. With at least 4 meals a week totally from storage. I also keep a root cellar type storage. This make onions, cabbage, garlic, apples, potatoes, yams, and winter squash possible. I lacto ferment many veggies making canning unnecessary.

Anonymous said...

I use food storage for meals daily - from the oatmeal at breakfast, bread for lunch and soups/veggies/dessert at dinner. I firmly believe in 'store what you eat, eat what you store'.

I have a minimum of 3 months stored to feed us all meals and snacks, even coffee with cream and sugar. Have 9-12 months stored but would have to add more meat/fish/poultry in the freezer or canned.

Julene said...

I am just wondering if your one meal a week is using ingredients only from your storage? Because the food I cook everyday are from my storage. I am just wondering what you are eating the other 6 days that aren't from your storage. It seems that it would be hard to rotate the 3 month supply food only using it once a week. The 3 month supply should be things we regularly eat, not just in case we need it. I was just curious if you are using storage the rest of the week and combining it with fresh food or if you save your 3 month supply to cook once a week.

Hannah said...

Julene-

Thanks for your comment. You are right, I use my food storage every day. A can here, a box of something there, etc. It's constantly being eaten. However, once per week I make a meal using ONLY my food storage. This way my family will get used to those "food storage only" meals, just in case. I do sometimes supplement them with "extras" like cheese and sour cream, though, depending on what we're eating.