-->

Monday, December 1, 2008

Motivational Monday



As a young couple, Spencer W. Kimball and his wife, Camilla, “knew they weren’t rich. But they had work and ability. They knew how to manage their own money, living within their income, saving for the future.”

The Kimballs lived through times of widespread economic difficulties—World War I (1914–18), the Great Depression (1929–39), and World War II (1939–45). Having experienced these challenges, President Kimball concluded, “What I have seen with my own eyes makes me afraid not to do what I can to protect against the calamities.”


Among the things he saw were the struggles of others: “All my life from childhood I have heard the Brethren saying, ‘get out of debt and stay out of debt.’ I was employed for some years in the banks and I saw the terrible situation that many people were in because they had ignored that important counsel.”


In addition to his bank work, Spencer kept the account books for some of the local stores. “One of the shocking things of my life was to find on the books the accounts of many of the people in the community that I knew. I knew them. I knew approximately what their income was, and then I saw them wear it away. In other words, I saw they were buying their clothes, their shoes, everything they had ‘on time.’


“And I found that it was my duty to make the bills at the end of the month for them. And many of them couldn’t pay at the end of the month. They couldn’t pay even the installments that were arranged for them. And having been reared in a home that took care of its funds, I couldn’t understand it. I could understand how a person could buy a home on time or perhaps could even buy an automobile on time. But I never could quite understand how anybody would wear clothes they didn’t own. Or eat food that they had to buy ‘on time.’ ”


In his teachings President Kimball addressed not only financial issues but also other matters related to provident living, such as personal responsibility, work, and home food production and storage. He said: “Let us practice the principles of personal and family preparedness in our daily lives. ‘If ye are prepared ye shall not fear’ (D&C 38:30).”


“Chapter 11: Provident Living: Applying Principles of Self-Reliance and Preparedness,” Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, (2006),114–23

4 comments:

Camille said...

Such wonderful council, and definitely needed right now in the world! Thank you for posting it!

Camille said...

Er.. counsel? Who knows, its 1:30 am... ;-) (Please don't post about "early to bed, early to rise..." I hear that every day from my mom!)

Flashlight Girl said...

I just finished doing a complete inventory of our food storage, again. Even though we are better off than before,(I'd say about 80% of our year supply)I am still stressing! In the coming months do you think you could offer up some advice for those of us trying to supply a large family on a not-so-large budget? I need some encouragement! Thanks for such a great blog.

Melonie said...

I came across your blog via Money Saving Mom (I'm sure a lot of visitors will say that in the next week or so!) and I'm so grateful to have found you. After a messy divorce from a man who lived everything "on time", I'm now blessed with a man just the opposite - and can finally get back to living the way I feel I SHOULD. Always glad to find kindred spirits. You've been blogtipped - I had to share the great link to y'all!