-->

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How To....Make Smores

That's right I said smores. And I'm not joking either.


Smores are the number one camping necessity. Have you ever gone camping without eating, or at least thinking about smores? I didn't think so. Smores are perfect food storage treat for the same reason they are good camping treat: nonperishable items, cooked over a open fire, no electricity needed. Although smores are also very tasty cooked in the oven--the chocolate really melts. Hmm.



Ingredients: Marshmallows, chocolate bars, and graham crackers



If there's just one person out there who's never made a smore before, this tutorial will not have been in vain.

Stick some marshmallows on a roaster which could be a storebought roaster, a stretched out clothes hanger or a stick with a sharpened point.



Stick your marshmallows near enough to the flame to get toasty, but not near enough to light them on fire. Although that's a fun activity too. Until someone starts waving their flaming marshmallow around to try and put it out and and it takes flight.


A marshmallow's doneness is personal preference. I prefer lightly browned.


Break in half a graham cracker and a chocolate bar.



Sandwich your marshmallows between your slices of cracker and slide off the roasting stick.



Tasty.



Really tasty.



Smores

Really?
Read instructions above. I'm not rewriting them.

16 comments:

kidsmom said...

Did you know you can freeze marshmallows. It works and they are just like fresh when thawed.

Lewaina@cliffsideranch said...

I love love love smores! I earned a rep when we would visit the wards camps in the summer for having to have a smore before I left or went to bed:) They are a fun tradition for family get to gethers around a fire or....the stove burner in the winter.
♥ Lewaina

HermitJim said...

Smors are a messy, easy to fix, comfort food made over an open fire...and filled with CHOCOLATE!!! What's NOT to like ??

Many a fond memory there...many! Thnks for posting that!

Brittney said...

I'm new to the blog, and I absolutely LOVE it. I just found the recipe for granola bars, and I wanted to try it out, but then realized there is peanut butter in them. I'm allergic to PB, so is there any kind of substitute for that recipe? Thanks so much! This is great!

Anonymous said...

I had my very first one at Brownie camp nearly 40 years ago.

christy said...

s'mores are also VERY good when made with reeces peanut butter cups!

Joanna said...

s'mores are also VERY good when made with reeces peanut butter cups

That has got to be one of the most brilliant things I have ever read.

Give LDS Gifts said...

I have been enjoying smores over the last couple of days. It's been cold here and I have made them over our fire in the fireplace using a kabob skewer. I didn't have Hershey's bar so I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead. I actually think I prefer it that way now.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be linking, it's a great topic. :)

alpinekleins said...

Probably the best 'tip' I ever got from one of my children's babysitters - make s'mores in the MICROWAVE! Brilliant idea! Why didn't that occur to me - now we have them all the time! My youngest if 17 and the only one at home and we're still making these on a regular basis - can't wait to try the Reeses :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello,

I have sent you a few emails, but I am worried that I am getting moved to your junk folder. I just wanted permission to have you as a guest poster on my blog and to use your 72-hour list.

preparednessbug.blogspot.com

Bobbi Jo Nichols said...

Those make me want to go camping. Hugs, Bobbi Jo

Dana said...

We make smores with canned chocolate frosting. Less mess and you don't have to worry about the chocolate bars melting (or being eaten) beforehand!

Dana

Unknown said...

Don't forget the baby wipes! Paper towels will NOT cut it.

Hilary said...

you can have the nice "melty" chocolate while camping as well. Prop one half of the gram cracker angled toward the fire, the chocolate will melt slightly - rotate the gram cracker periodically to melt all sides. When chocolate and marshmallow are ready sandwich and ENJOY!!!