-->

Friday, September 26, 2008

Food Storage Friday - Pancakes

We realize that we've shared a ton of dinner recipes with you so far, and just a few breakfast foods, so today we're going to make pancakes with pantry items only!

Here are your ingredients:

whole wheat flour (it was ground a few days ago and been kept in the fridge), white flour, white sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla, powdered milk, and water.


Combine all your dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon).


Next, make a "well" or bowl in the center of your dry ingredients.


Meanwhile, prepare your milk. I added 1/3 cup powdered milk to 1 cup of water to make 1 cup of milk.

Pour your wet ingredients into the "well".


Combine the wet and dry ingredients.

There you have it, pancake batter!


Pour about 1/3 cup onto your griddle and cook like you would cook normal pancakes. Serve with Homemade Syrup and enjoy!



Pantry Pancakes (makes 5 pancakes)

1/2 cup (plus 1 Tbsp) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 Tbsp white sugar
1 - 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 c milk (1 c water mixed with 1/3 c powdered milk)

Combine dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, and cinnamon) in a bowl. Make a "well" in the center, and pour in your vanilla and prepared milk. Mix. Pour 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. Enjoy!

7 comments:

Shary said...

What a great idea! Cinnamon! Love your blog! I send out a preparedness newsletter to our ward every week and have shared your link. Truly a super resource!!

Flashlight Girl said...

I've been making "from scratch" pancakes almost exclusively for years trying to be frugal and use my food storage. The following recipe works well for pancakes and waffles. (This is an original recipe by my MOM! I've literally been eating these for 36 years.)

Whisk together: 1 1/2 cups milk (or water and 1/3 cup powdered milk) 2 eggs, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Add 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (1/2 whole wheat works, too), 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 Tbsp baking powder, and 1 tsp salt. Whisk all ingredients together and let sit for 5 minutes. Cook over hot griddle. This makes 10-12 6" pancakes.

Anonymous said...

YUM! Your pancakes look all light and fluffy. I'll have to try it with the half white and half wheat flour. Good idea!

Cathy said...

I just love your blog! It's a great help for me in my attempts to be better prepared since there isn't much help here in the eastcoast where I live.

Kelly said...

I don't know if this changes the pancake's quality, but I used to make them with powder milk. I stirred my milk powder in with my dry ingredients and added warm water to the whole thing - rather than mix the milk up separately. I never compared to see if there was a difference in quality - I was just trying to save myself a step and my family didn't seem to mind.

Just FYI!!

By the way, I love this blog. It's really helping me get motivated. Thanks for your efforts!

Kimberly said...

I especially like that the recipe doesn't call for eggs. Looks good.

Adelina Priddis said...

these look great! And all the ingredients I always have on hand!